After analyzing the family tree of each memeber of the team the most common diseases that predominate happen to be strokes, diabetes and cancer.
Srokes are the rapid loss of brain function due to disturbance in the blood supply to the brain.
- Prevention: The factors that result in stroke are high blood pressure, high cholesterol, physical inactivity, and smoking, so they are the factors we are going to consider for the strategy.
Maintain proper weight.
Avoid drugs known to raise blood pressure.
Eat a balanced diet: cut down on salt and cholesterol and eat fruits and vegetables to increase potassium in your diet. Exercise more, and obviously stop smoking in case you do, also it is highly reccomended that you practice cardiovascular activity such as swimming, running or cycling.
- Diagnosis: A brief neurological exam is performed to identify the degree and location of any deficits, such as weakness, incoordination, or visual losses. (MRI) scan is performed to distinguish a stroke caused by blood clot from one caused by hemorrhage, a critical distinction that guides therapy. Blood and urine tests are done routinely to look for possible abnormalities.
- Evolution: Depending on the region of the brain affected, a stroke may cause paralysis, speech impairment, loss of memory and reasoning ability, coma, or even death.
- Treatment: Emergency treatment of stroke from a blood clot is aimed at dissolving the clot.
- Rehabilitation: Approximately 10% of stroke survivors are without any significant disability and able to function independently. Another 10% are so severely affected that they must remain institutionalized for severe disability. The remaining 80% can return home with appropriate therapy, training, support, and care services.
A disease characterized by an inability to process sugars in the diet, due to a decrease in or total absence of insulin production.
- Prevention: Keeping weight in check and being physically active can help prevent most cases of the disease. Choosing a diet rich in whole grains and healthy fats adds even more protection , it is recommended that refined grains and sugary soda is turned down to a minimum. Limiting red meat and avoiding processed meat can also help lower diabetes risk. Go for healthier protein sources instead, such as nuts, beans, poultry, and fish.
- Diagnosis: Blood tests are used to diagnosis diabetes and prediabetes because early in the disease type 2 diabetes may have no symptoms. All diabetes blood tests involve sending the sample to a lab for analysis. Lab analysis of blood is needed to ensure test results are accurate. Thie most common test is called the A1C.
Symptoms of diabetes include:
- increased urination
- increased thirst
- unexplained weight loss
- Evolution: The progression of type 2 diabetes means your pancreas will produce less insulin as time goes on.The disease course is primarily characterized by a decline in β-cell function and worsening of insulin resistance.
- Treatment: The aim of diabetes treatment is to keep, within reason, blood glucose levels as near to normal as possible. Treatment typically includes diet control, planed physical activity , home blood glucose testing, and in some cases, oral medication and/or insulin injections. Approximately 40% of people with type 2 diabetes require insulin injections.
It is the uncontrolled growth of abnormal cells in the body. Cancerous cells are also called malignant cells.
Prevention: You can reduce the risk of getting a cancerous (malignant) tumor by:
- Eating a healthy diet
- Exercising regularly
- Limiting alcohol
- Maintaining a healthy weight
- Minimizing your exposure to radiation and toxic chemicals
- Not smoking or chewing tobacco
- Reducing sun exposure, especially if you burn easily
Most cancers are diagnosed by biopsy. Depending on the location of the tumor, the biopsy may be a simple procedure or a serious operation. Most patients with cancer have CT scans to determine the exact location and size of the tumor or tumors.
Other common diagnose techniques are :
- Blood tests (which look for chemicals such as tumor markers)
- Bone marrow biopsy (for lymphoma or leukemia)
- Chest x-ray
- Complete blood count (CBC)
- MRI scan
Stage I: cancers are localized to one part of the body.
Stage II: cancers are locally advanced.
Stage III: cancers are also locally advanced , but a bit later.
Stage IV: cancers have often metastasized, or spread to other organs or throughout the body.
Treatment: It varies based on the type of cancer and its stage. The stage of a cancer refers to how much it has grown and whether the tumor has spread from its original location.
If the cancer is confined to one location and has not spread, the most common treatment approach is surgery to cure the cancer. This is often the case with skin cancers, as well as cancers of the lung, breast, and colon.
If the tumor has spread to local lymph nodes only, sometimes these can be removed.
If surgery cannot remove all of the cancer, the options for treatment include radiation, chemotherapy, or both. Some cancers require a combination of surgery, radiation, and chemotherapy.
Strategy for Mars
For the people living in mars we made a plan for them to be healthy and live properly.
Prevention for all the diseases mentioned above is basically the same , live healthy.
A healthy eating plan will lower the risk of diseases .This is what we consider a healthy eating plan :
- Emphasizes fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and fat-free or low-fat milk and milk products
- Includes lean meats, poultry, fish, beans, eggs, and nuts
- Is low in saturated fats, trans fat, cholesterol, salt (sodium), and added sugars
- Controls portion sizes
The Department of Health and Human Services indicate that at least 30 minutes of daily physical activity is required to reduce the risk of chronic diseases in adulthood. So based on that premise people living in mars will be required to do a workout everyday in order to maintain their health.
Biomagnetism: After having researched about biomagnetism , we are convinced that it really works . And because of this we will capacitate someone for the practice of this technique in Martian surface , in order to treat any condition or disease that might develop over there.